During the 1898 exhibition at Madison Square Garden, Nikola Tesla had, for the first time, demonstrated the use of radio controls in small boats. Overtly, it seemed that the boat moved according to the vocal instruction shouted out by the audience. However, in reality, Tesla directed the boat using the radio signals. This experiment led Nikola Tesla to obtain the patent for radio control devices in the US on November 8, 1898. At that point of time, radio controlled boat models had not come into existence.
The first radio controlled boat model was built in the early 1950s. In the 1990’s, radio controlled miniatures were manufactured and marketed by incorporating the technology into toys. In 1962, gasoline radio controlled models came into existence, which led to a huge surge in demand for RC models. The International Model Power Boat Association (IMPBA) and also the North American Boat models Association (NAMBA) have specific guidelines for racing radio controlled boat models. This article will discuss the technique of recording the speed of RC model boats in order to ensure that they meet the set guidelines.
Technique of Recording the Speed of Radio Controlled Boat Models
Following is a simple six-step exercise which will help you record the speed of your radio controlled boat models:
- Turn on the engine of the boat through the “on/off” button and the remote control.
- Make sure that all the functions of the boat are working efficiently, according to the directions given by you.
- Turn on the radar gun and check that it is gauging the speed correctly. Test the radar gun and measure the speed on it by pointing it towards any moving object near you. For better usage, read the radar gun manual.
- Now place the boat in the water and stand 50 feet away from the boat so that the distance remains the same as the boat crosses you in full speed. Make sure that you can control all the boat functions via a remote from that distance.
- Point the radar at the boat while standing still and push the throttle to drive your boat at full speed. Record the speed gauge on the radar gun as it passes you.
- To ensure accuracy, you can repeat this exercise two to three times.
There are four ways in which you can make your models run faster. Some of the techniques of doing the same are:
- Change the propeller with high strength and light quality propellers.
- Install spoilers for better stability and down force.
- Attach high-discharge lithium polymer battery for more current.
- Install a larger battery, which is compatible to your boat engine, for better propulsion.
Furthermore, better air designed RC boat models will add to the speed and reduce air friction while moving at top speed. With Aquacraft and Slingshot models you can satisfy your need for great speed. These two models can move at a high speed because of their sleek design and higher maneuverability.
Model-Ships.co.uk is a reputed company offering a wide range of RC boat models in different style, such as Aquacraft, Sling Shot and Thunder Tiger. For some of the best deals in model boast, you can visit http://www.model-ships.co.uk. The shop displays a number of images of boats. However, the clients claim that the products are much better than the images.